Dec 16, 2020 • Filed to: Solve Mac Problems • Proven solutions
If you think you might need an FTP app, CyberDuck is an oldie but a goodie - and can be downloaded for free. If you go to the Mac App Store, it'll cost you £17.99. Go to the website. Open Disk Utility, which is in the Utilities folder of your Mac’s Applications folder. Select your drive and click First Aid. The app will run a check on the drive, its catalog information, and your files. If there are any repairs to be made, it will be able to carry out most of them.
Truth to be told – this is one of the major queries of almost every Mac user these days. While Mac offers a wide range of features, most of the models suffer from limited storage. Therefore, a lot of people find it hard to manage storage on Mac and seek the assistance of external sources. Though, if you want, you can take some preventive measures and clear up space on Mac. Some several techniques and methods can help you do the same in less time. To make things easier for you, we have come up with several solutions that will clear space on Mac and resolve this situation.
Part 1. How to See How Much Space Is Left on Mac
Before you learn how to clear space on Mac, it is important to know about the system's available storage. In this way, you can get a clear idea of how much space in left in Mac and you can clear other content accordingly. Here's how to see how much space is left on your Mac storage.
- Firstly, launch Finder on your Mac and from its sidebar, go the Devices section, and select the root directory.
- Here, you can view all the partitions and external devices. Select the Macintosh HD (or Fusion drive). Right-click to get the context menu and go to the 'Get Info' section.
- A pop-up window will open stating all the essential details of the hard drive. The 'Capacity' section will display the total storage while the 'Available' option will inform you of the total free space on it.
How to See What's Taking up Space on Mac
After knowing how much space is left on your Mac, you can also take some extra measures as well. For instance, you can know what type of data is accumulating how much space on your system. To get an extensive bifurcation of the storage, follow these steps:
- Go to Mac's desktop and click on the Apple logo at the top left corner of the screen. From here, go to the 'About This Mac' option.
- This will launch a dedicated window with details about your system. Visit the 'Storage' section from here.
- Now, you can view the storage details of your Mac's partition or connected external sources. It would also depict the total and the available space on it.
- After that, you need to press 'Command + Shift + Period' to toggle to view hidden files.
Eight Solutions to Free Up Space on Mac
1. Downloads Folder
The Downloads folder is the default location on Mac that stores all the content that you have downloaded from the web. If you have been using your Mac for a while now, then the Downloads folder can accumulate a lot of data. Therefore, you should consider visiting the Downloads folder every now and then, and delete the unwanted files from it to clear disk space on Mac.
- To access your Mac's Downloads, just click on the 'Go' option on Finder and open the Downloads folder.
- You can also just launch Finder and visit the Downloads folder from the sidebar.
- On the right, you can view all the files stored in the Downloads folder. Simply select the unwanted data, right-click, and move it to Trash.
2. Unwanted Apps
We all use different kinds of apps on our Mac for numerous purposes. Though, there are times when the system ends up having too many unwanted apps. You can just inspect all the installed apps on Mac and get rid of the programs you no longer want. In this way, you can easily learn how to free up disk space on Mac and boost its processing as well.
- Just go to Mac's Finder > Applications to view all sorts of apps installed on Mac under various categories.
- Select the application you wish to delete, right-click, and move it to Trash to get rid of it.
- If you are removing any important application, then you would get a confirmation prompt like this. Just enter the admin username and password to confirm your choice and delete the app.
- Apart from that, you can also go to Launchpad to view the programs installed from Mac's App Store. Long press any app to get the delete option (as the icons would start to wiggle).
- Click on the cross button (delete option) at the top of the app icon and confirm your choice to delete the app.
3. Duplicate Photos and Media Files
This is something that almost every Mac user suffers from. Since we all move our photos, videos, music, and other media files from one place to another, it often results in redundancy. If you wish to free up space on Mac, then check for any duplicate content and get rid of unwanted files.
- Mostly, users observe the presence of duplicate photos on Mac. To analyze this, go to Finder > Pictures from the sidebar.
- Here, you can find both the Photos Library and iPhoto Library. You can choose either of these options and import photos from one library to another to get rid of duplicate files.
- Apart from that, you can take the assistance of iTunes to detect duplicate content as well. Simply launch iTunes and go to its File > Library > Show Duplicate Items.
- This will display all the duplicate songs, videos, and other media files on iTunes. You can just remove the files of your choice from here.
4. Get rid of Trash
Whenever we delete something from Mac, it is moved to Trash. This lets us recover the files that we have deleted accidentally. Though, if you wish to clear space on Mac, then it is important to wipe the Trash folder as well. In this way, you can delete files from Trash permanently and clear disk space on Mac easily.
- If you want to empty the entire Trash folder, then select its icon first and go to Finder. Click on the 'Empty Trash' option from here and confirm your choice.
- In addition to that, you can also select the Trash icon from the dock and right-click. From the context menu, click on the 'Empty Trash' option.
5. iTunes Backup
To make it easier for iOS users to manage their devices, Apple has provided several options in iTunes. Chances are that you must have taken its assistance to back up your iOS device as well. For instance, if you have an iPhone, then you can easily take its backup on iTunes as many times as you want. Though, multiple backups can take a toll on Mac storage and should be checked regularly. If you want to learn how to free space on Mac, then follow this simple drill.
- Start by launching iTunes on your Mac and go to its iTunes menu > Preferences.
- As the Preferences window will open, you can go to the 'Devices' section to view the available backup files.
- Simply select the file you wish to get rid of and click on the 'Delete Backup' button. Confirm your choice and the iTunes backup would be erased from your Mac.
6. Temporary Files
Just like every other leading operating system, Mac also stores temporary and cache data while processing. Ideally, these temp files help us with the processing of certain actions and the overall Mac performance. Nevertheless, they can also accumulate after a while and consume a large chunk of your Mac's storage. Thus, it is recommended to remove temporary files every now and then to free up space on Mac.
- Since every application can have its own temporary files, you can start by visiting the relevant folders. Visit Finder's Go > Go to Folders and enter '~/Users/User/Library/Application Support/' in the address bar.
- Once the Application Support folder would be opened, you can visit different files and search for temporary files (with temp or tmp extensions). Subsequently, you can move the relevant files to Trash.
- Apart from temporary files, you can also check the Cache data on Mac too. Just visit Library > Caches and remove all kinds of unwanted cache from here.
7. Mac Mail Attachments
Mac comes with tons of native apps like Mail that can help us manage our emails and messages in one place. Needless to say, the constant use of the mails and the downloading of several attachments can consume a lot of storage. If you want, you can get rid of individual or bulk attachments in the following way.
- Firstly, open the Mail app from Finder and go to the mail that has the respective attachment.
- Once the attachment is loaded, go to the Message option from the Finder and choose to Remove Attachment.
- If you want to manually delete bulk attachments that are already downloaded on Mac, then go to the ~/Library/Mail folder.
- Here, you can view all the stored Mac mail attachments. Make the relevant selection and delete the unwanted files.
8. Move Files to an External Storage
While we can delete unwanted content from Mac, there are certain files that we can't get rid of. In this case, you can simply move them to external storage like an SD card, pen drive, or external hard disk. This will free up disk space on your Mac while still keeping your important data safe.
- Simply connect an external data source to your Mac. Most likely, you can see its icon on the desktop from where you can access the storage.
- If you want, you can also launch Finder and visit the location of the files you wish to move.
- Select the respective files, right-click, and cut them from the source. Go to the external source from Finder's sidebar and paste your files here instead.
Part 4. How to Manage Storage on Mac
By following the above-listed techniques, you would be able to clear disk space on Mac. Apart from that, you can also manage storage on Mac more efficiently by following these suggestions:
• Manage iCloud Sync
By default, every Apple ID gets access to 5 GB of free storage on iCloud. If you want, you can even buy more storage as well. You should make the most of it by syncing certain things on iCloud with your Mac. This will maintain a dedicated backup of your data (like Photos) and improve their availability. Simply Go to Finder > System Preferences and launch the iCloud app. Set up your account if you haven't already and enable the syncing option for your photos, contacts, notes, etc.
Free Mac Program Sites
• Auto Empty Trash
A lot of users forget to empty the Trash after moving files to it. If you want, you can make sure that the data would only be stored for 30 days in Trash. After that, it will automatically be removed from Trash to make more space on Mac. Just go to Finder > Finder Preferences > Advanced. Now, enable the option to remove items from Trash after 30 days automatically.
• Optimize Storage
There are also different ways to manage storage on Mac by optimizing it. To start with, de-clutter your system and try to have an organized hierarchy of the file system. If you want, you can automate this feature as well. Just go to Finder and click on the Apple icon > About this Mac > Storage > Manager. Here, you can enable the Optimize Storage option to remove the iTunes movies and shows that you have already watched.
There is also an option for 'Reduce Clutter' that you can turn on. This will organize your Mac and get rid of the documents you no longer need.
• Delete App Data
Sometimes, uninstalling apps is not enough as they can leave residual data on Mac. If you won't remove the leftover app data, then it can consume a lot of storage of your Mac in the long run. Just go to your Mac's Library and visit the folder of the app you have already uninstalled. From here, you can carefully remove the existing app data that is no longer needed by Mac.
• Organize Mac Partitions
You might already know that Mac lets us create different partitions to logically separate the disk. It is recommended to empty the partition and delete it to defragment the disk space. Once you have taken a backup of your data, go to Applications > Disk Utility and view the existing partitions. Delete the unwanted partitions, create new ones, or merge existing partitions from here to make the most of the provided space.
Part 5. How to Recover Lost Data While Clearing Space
As you can see, there are different ways to learn how to make space on Mac by managing the storage and getting rid of unwanted content. Though, there are times when we end up deleting something by mistake. In this case, you can take the assistance of Recoverit Data Recovery for Mac to get back the lost, deleted, or inaccessible data. Recoverit 8.0 is the latest release of the application that provides a wide range of data recovery features and an extremely simple user interface. Here are some of the new and advanced features of this data recovery tool.
- Recoverit 8.0 runs an extensive scan on Mac through its advanced recovery algorithm. This yields comprehensive results in less time.
- Using Recoverit, you can get back all kinds of lost and deleted data back. The application supports 1000+ different data types for photos, videos, audios, files, documents, etc.
- It is fully compatible with every major file system used in Mac like APFS, HFS+, exFAT, and more.
- You can preview the extracted content on its native interface and pick the type of data that you wish to get back.
- It doesn't matter if you have accidentally deleted something, the storage has been corrupted, or an entire partition has been formatted – Recoverit can handle every scenario.
- Apart from Mac's HD, you can also perform data recovery on SD cards, cameras, external hard disks, pen drives, and all the popular sources.
Since the basic version of Recoverit 8.0 is available for free, you don't have to spend a single dime to have a hands-on experience of the tool first. Later, you can follow these simple steps and restore your lost data from Mac using Recoverit 8.0:
Step 1: Select a Location
Install and launch Recoverit 8.0 on your Mac, whenever you wish to get back your lost files. On its home, you need to select a location to scan. This can be Mac's entire storage, a partition, or even a particular folder. You can browse to a specific location of your choice as well.
Step 2: Scan the Location
As you would click on the 'Start' button, Recoverit will scan the source and extract all the essential files from it. It might take a few minutes for the process to be completed, and hence, it is recommended not to close the application in between.
Step 3: Preview and Recover
When the scan is complete, the interface will let you preview all the extracted data. It will already list everything under different categories. Recoverit 8.0 now also provides a bigger and better preview for photos, videos, and documents. Select multiple files if you want to and click on the 'Recover' button to save them to any location of your choice.
Who knew it would be so easy to manage storage on Mac and even recover lost data from it. To make things easier for you, we have listed eight different solutions on how to free up space on Mac. Furthermore, we have even provided a smart guide on how to see storage on Mac beforehand. In this way, you can see the difference in your Mac storage before and after following the listed suggestions. Additionally, if you have deleted something by mistake, then simply take the assistance of Recoverit Data Recovery. Developed by Wondershare, it is one of the most advanced and reliable data recovery tools for Mac that you should certainly keep handy.
What's Wrong with Mac
- Recover Your Mac
- Fix Your Mac
- Delete Your Mac
- Learn Mac Hacks
In the present day and age, it has actually become possible to maintain your personal finance online. You can now pay your bills online, carry out net banking, manage your bank accounts and track your budgets and investments. But when it comes to personal finance, it is always important to use trusted websites.
If you’re wondering about the most reliable websites, then the article below can help you out with the various kinds of software and their features.
Simple Money Keeper
Simple Money Keeper is one of the top rated software applications when it comes to matters of finance. This is reliable and also easy to use. Both these factors are a must in any personal finance software. You can balance your check book, keep a track of your credit cards, keep track of loans, manage your recurring deposits and also your bills.
Clear Check Book
This is one of the most trusted check book software in the finance world. It offers a large number of services to the user. Any kind of financial task- starting from payment of bills to even tracking your investments, Clear Check Book does it all. Plus, unlike most financial software applications, this one is really easy to use.
If you’re looking for free check book software, then you cannot afford to miss out on Simply Checking. It allows you to keep an eye on your budget and your expenditures so that you do not exceed your limits. Plus, you will be able to carry out other kinds of financial tasks as well which can be of great help to you.
For simple and easy money transfer systems, you must take a look at Quicken. The interface is so simple and easy to understand that even a child can operate it! You can carry out different kinds of financial tasks on this software without having to worry about safety or security since all transactions take place through a secure channel.
If you’re talking of reliable check book software, one really cannot forget Buxfer. All you have to do is download the software and create an account. There are powerful features which make it one of the most popular software applications in the market. It also guarantees bank level security which is a must for all personal finance software.
Check Book Software for Various Platforms
At present, there are three platforms that are used across the world. These include Windows, Android and Mac. For all three platforms, there are separate software which are perfectly compatible. While most personal finance software are likely to function across all platforms, there are some software which are unique to Windows, Mac and so on.
Free Check Book Software for Mac – Splasm Check Book
Now you do not actually have to write down checks when it comes to finance, you can just do it online. It is easier, safer and much more convenient. For example, this software allows you to write your checks online so that you can avoid mistakes. Also, you will be shown a record of your past investments and your status at present.
Mac has some of the best options when it comes to check book software. For example, most Mac users use Splasm Checkbook to carry out their financial tasks. With this software you can manage all your finances precisely and also sync and share your data with other. You can also handle your accounts across numerous currencies.
Free Check Book Software for Windows – Moneydance
MoneyDance is a personal finance software which can come to your rescue if you’re really bad with investments and budgets. Although this particular check book software is for Windows, there are special versions available for other platforms too. The best part about this software is that it handles a number of currencies and all kinds of financial tasks.
There are plenty of check book software for Windows. For example, Money Dance was predominantly created for Windows users. Although the software has other versions which can be used by other platforms, it is mainly a Windows software. It allows you to proceed with your transactions in neat and organized fashion.
Free Check Book Software for Android – Checkbook
Managing your personal finance would become a piece of cake if you are an Android user. Especially when you have options like Checkbook.You can track your credit card activity, keep an eye on your budget, manage your recurring deposits, manage your loan payments, balance your check book, calculate your daily expenses and manage your bills.
Most Popular Check Book Software in 2016 – MoneyLine Personal Finance Software
MoneyLine Personal Finance Software is one of the most trusted companies when it comes to any kind of software. Their personal check book software is highly in demand as well. With the help of this software, you can keep a track of your expenditures, monitor your bank balance, categorize all purchase transactions and you also get simple budget tools. It really is one of the best check book software !
It is always better to judge and be absolutely sure before you download a check book software. In case you’re looking for the best check book software, you must download NCH money line personal finance software . Here you can check your account balance, categorize your transactions, add or remove accounts, track all investments which include stocks and mutual funds, track transfers taking place between accounts and so on.
Editing Programs For Mac Free
What is Check Book Software?
Word Program For Mac Free
Managing personal finances can be a hassle, especially for those who lead really busy lives. For them, such check book software is a must. These software applications could be like your very own personal finance advisor. You would be able to carry out any kind of financial activities through such software.
If you have to transfer money to another account, if you need to balance your check book, if you need to check your loan payments or make payments, if you want to keep an eye on your stock market investments, such check book software makes it exceptionally easy for you. All you have to do is download a reliable check book software and enter your account details into it. Yes, it really is as simple as that.
How to Install Check Book Software?
Before you install check book software, you need to be absolutely sure of the safety factor. Remember, all these sites will have your bank account details. That is why you need to download reliable check book software and only from trusted official websites. All the software applications mentioned above are reliable ones.
Benefits of check book software
There are countless benefits of check book software. For one, you wouldn’t have to worry about your finances anymore. The software will be taking care of it. Any loan payment that needs to be done, or if you need to write a check, you can rely on the software to do it for you.
Moreover, it always helps to have expert guidance when it comes to finances. The software you download would be keeping an eye on your expenditures, even the day to day ones, to make sure you do not exceed your limits. Based on that, you could curb your expenditures. Also, you would be able to keep an eye on your investments and your stock market trades and mutual funds.
Personal finance and its management becomes really easy with check book software. It is of the utmost importance to download reliable software. If you download any of the aforementioned software, you can update your bank details, keep track of your budgets, deal with a number of currencies and so on. There’s no end to how much you may achieve with the help of check book software.